Sunday, October 10, 2010

Ear Force X41 Review



I just purchased a pair of Turtle Beach x41?s off Amazon. Here’s a little review, based on my limited experience with them.


The Good:


+ Easy to setup. The instructions are somewhat abstruse, and not detailed. I had to sort of fill in the blanks, but overall it was quite easy. I think anyone can do it.


+ Comfortable. The headset is lightweight, and has decent padding. It does begin to hurt my ears after a couple hours.


+ Features. The x41 offers a ton of awesome features, including RF technology and Dolby Digital 7.1.


The Bad:


- The transmitter cannot be connected to my LCD HDTV via the optical port and still get Dolby Digital surround sound. You NEED the Xbox 360?s AV/Optical plugs in order to access DD 7.1. Most new Xbox’s don’t include this cable, so it’s an additional expense if you want to use this headset. No point in buying these instead of the x31?s if you can’t get Dolby.


- Occasional scratching, popping, cutting. Nothing destroys immersion and distracts me more than when the sound pops and cuts in the middle of your game. This is not associated with the chat cable’s notorious scratching and popping. This is due to a bad RF connection or interference or something. The problem is enhanced if you’re downloading anything via a nearby wifi. The headset will often pop so loudly, that all audio is cut for a few seconds, and gradually returns. The pops are occasionally so loud and abrupt, that I wouldn’t be surprised if it damaged someone’s eardrums.


- The volume turn dials are awkward and poorly designed. The volume dial on the headset won’t register any volume until it’s turned about 3/4 of the way to MAX. From the 3/4 mark, it increases RAPIDLY. The chat volume dial is even more sensitive. This makes fine tuning a ridiculous chore, and quite impossible.


- Can barely hear myself talk. Turtle Beach purposefully dialed back the monitor volume of the x41?s. When I talk into the microphone, it feels as if I’m deaf or underwater. The microphone has other issues with pickup. Sometimes my team mates can’t hear me, and other times they say my voice is too loud (because I have to talk loudly in order to get the microphone to pick up the sound). There is no consistency. Also, the microphone causes a steady hissing sound whenever it’s attached. When it’s not attached, there is still a noticeable buzzing hiss when the game or movie gets quiet.


The Ugly:


– This is the reason I returned this headset. The volume in the left ear cup is louder than the volume in the right ear cup. This is the case with every game and movie I’ve tried. I thought I may have installed it wrong, so I re did the installation and setup. Didn’t work. I tried changing out the brand new AAA batteries, nothing. I tried changing the setting on my Xbox, nothing. I contacted Turtle Beach, but they haven’t been able to help at all.


In every game with background music (all games?), I can only hear the drum and bass in the left side. I tested this with every game, and even audio CD’s. I also did a test on Xbox Live with some friends. In Modern Warfare 2, I had a friend stand a few meters in front of me and fire off his automatic rifle in the air. It sounded as if the gun was somewhere to the left. When he stood directly in front of me (1 inch from my face) and fired, it sounded as if it was coming from below me and to the left. Then I had him stand a few meters off and fire clips in the air while I stood in one place and spun around in circles. I was hoping the sound would be “circling” me, but instead it sounded as if it was coming from above/below me when it was supposed to be on my right side. Later in another match, I was approaching a doorway, and I heard someone reload on the left side of the doorway. So I watch the left corner when entering, but in turned out the guy was on the right side of the doorway. Because the headset was louder on the left side, it sounded as if the guy was to the left of me.


I put the headset down, and hooked up my $14.99 Microsoft one, and I guess that says it all. I wish this headset worked. I paid $170 for it, but the lop-sided volume is killing it for me. It’s unbearable, and surely less than what I expected for the price.


And don’t assume I have a hearing problem in my right ear. I’ve had several people verify that the left side is noticibly louder. Plus when I reverse the headset, the left side will be louder on my right ear.


I’m giving this headset 1 star, as I feel it’s defective. I’m exchanging them for a working pair, and will update this review when they arrive. Besides the negative things I’ve listed, I like these headphones. If the volume wasn’t lop-sided and utterly unbearable, I would’ve kept them and given them 3 or 4 stars.


***UPDATE***


I just received a replacement pair of Turtle Beach X41?s from Amazon. I set them up exactly the same way as the previous defective pair, however, these one’s seem to work. The lop-sided volume I experienced in the first set is no longer an issue. I can actually hear the Dolby surround sound in effect this time.


It’s not all sunshine and daisies. This pair comes equipped with a host of new problems. Before purchasing the first pair, I had done some research on the Turtle Beach website and forum. It seems that a lot of x41?s are experiencing a similar problem where the in-game audio will cut, pop, scratch, etc. So it wasn’t a total surprise when my replacement pair started exhibiting these problems. This audio-cutting is a lot worse on my replacement pair, than it was on my original defective pair, for some reason. The “popping” is much louder than the first pair. I was watching a DVD and when the audio “popped” it actually hurt my eardrums. The popping happens suddenly, and is much louder than the volume of the game or DVD, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it caused someone ear damage eventually.


And the volume is another issue. My original defective pair seemed to have adequate volume levels. This new pair, however, has a very low maximum volume level (when it’s not popping). This is another wide-spread issue expressed on the Turtle Beach forums. From the Turtle Beach support guy, I’ve deduced that Dolby, in collaboration with Turtle Beach, decided to “dial back” the volume on the x41 so as not to damage the user’s ear drums. There’s an inherent problem with this. While the volume on several games are adequate, the volume of most DVD’s are certainly not. I tried several DVD’s in my Xbox 360 and only one had an acceptable volume level.


For example: I wanted to test out the difference in audio volume levels between games and DVD’s. I played Modern Warfare 2, and the volume was decent. At MAX volume, it sounded about 90% as loud as I would have liked. I can accept that, knowing it’s saving my eardrums. Then I popped in the DVD “Shoot ‘Em Up” to gauge the volume level of DVD gunshots in comparison to videogame gunshots, and it’s maybe 60% as loud as I’d like. I then tried several other DVD’s, including loud action epics, and softer comedies that are filled with spoken-volume dialogue. Both genres offer inadequate volume levels. In the action movies, the loud explosions are not as “exciting” as I’d hoped they’d be. In comedies and dramas, the dialogue isn’t loud enough to be enjoyable. If I was listening to DVD’s via my home theater system, I would set the volume much louder than I am able to in these headphones.


That’s the problem. I don’t understand why Turtle Beach would limit the maximum volume levels when they know that many DVD’s and games have differing audio levels. Sometimes the max volume is perfect, and it seems Turtle Beach did their homework. Most of the time I wish I could turn the volume up a little or a lot, depending on whether I’m playing a game or watching a DVD. There’s no reason to not give us the option to increase the volume beyond Dolby’s recommended level. In fact, that argument is flawed, as I have a 5.1 Dolby surround sound system that certainly is MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH louder than these headphones could ever be.


Another issue I have with these x41?s is the low level hiss. If you’ve looked at the Turtle Beach forums, you’d be well aware of the low level hiss complaints. This seems to be another wide-spread issue with x41?s. When you turn the set on, you’ll hear the hiss. When the game or DVD audio is quiet, even for a second, you’ll hear the hiss. This is not a huge problem during most games, as there is usually constant ambient noise to mask the hiss. But with certain DVD’s, the low hiss will be unbearable. Movie dialogue is a low level hiss extravaganza. This, coupled with the low volume levels, make watching certain DVD’s a chore.


Nitpicking:


I would be nice if you could pair more than one x41 headset to the transmitter. When I have friends over, I wish we could both enjoy Dolby quality audio while we play co-op games or whatever.


I wish the x41?s were noise canceling. While the headset volume is quite low, you can hear it quite easily from across the room. So if you’re like me, and you occasionally play games in close proximity to a sleeping girlfriend, then you assume the risk of waking her up and consequently having an angry girlfriend.


But don’t think that the x41 is all bad. The x41 sound quality, when it’s not popping or hissing and when the volume level is adequate, is excellent. The ergonomics and comfort are also very good. The build quality and materials are good and bad. The leather top band is adequately padded and comfortable. The chat cable, on the other hand, is made with the same quality as the $14.99 Microsoft headset. Actually, it’s worse, since the Turtle Beach has annoyingly sensitive volume controls.


I really tried to tackle every flaw the Turtle Beach Ear Force x41?s have. For a $170 headset, I feel it should stand up to even the harshest scrutiny. But in the end, I’m keeping this headset, flaws and all. It’s certainly not perfect, but what is? Hopefully Turtle Beach will examine the x41?s flaws and take steps to improve the next iteration.


Take this review with as many grains of salt as you need.
Rating: 3 / 5

No comments: